Thursday, February 5, 2015

Pilot: A Rookie Endeavor into Personal Blogging

On this 5th of February, 2015, my thoughts have led me here. Over the past few days I have stressed about college, personal relationships and reestablishing a good relationship with my family. You see, I have gone through a lot of changes during college. At the same time, I haven't been through a lot of changes. 

For those of you who do not know: I have been writing for the last year or so. The exact date is November 15, 2013 that I took a gig as a sports writer. That site is Climbing Tal's Hill, and it covers my love for the Houston Astros. 

Writing is nothing new to me. Throughout middle and high school, essays were a common method that teachers utilized for assessment. You know, critical thinking skills and all that jazz. 

I wanna get better

I want to write a novel, or a movie script. Lately I have thought that the best place to start is with short stories. Sigh. I have began to look at tips on where to begin. 

The problem is that everyone has their own process. Mine is simple. I put my thoughts on the page. Proofread as I go along. I try to make everything fluid. I do not pre-write in a physical sense. There is no off switch for my brain. I am constantly thinking. Maybe people do not realize this about me. I spend very little time actually writing. 

Except when I want something to be good. Then this thing called commitment tries to make an appearance. Merriam-Webster online defines commitment in three ways:

  • a promise to do or give something
  • a promise to be loyal to someone or something
  • the attitude of someone who works very hard to do or support something
This is my biggest flaw. I have recently failed to commit to anything. To working out and to be a healthy college student. To writing about baseball on CTH. To what actually matters - family relationships, getting a good job, and the most important thing: obtaining a college degree. 

So I invite you to keep this page in mind. Crimson commitments represents who I want to be as a writer. I want to be creative: full of colors, full of imagery. But at the same time I want to have a structure. I need a routine to be successful. I need to commit to the coursework I am taking, a job that rewards me with real-world experience, and to the baseball blog. 


No comments:

Post a Comment