Sunday, February 8, 2015

Writers' Block

I want to make a post that is an attempt to clear up the objectives of this blog. Crimson Commtiments was an effort to mix creativity and routine together. I love writing. I really believe that if there is anything in life that I excel at, it's conveying my thoughts through text.

Anyone who knows me should know that I am not an optimistic person. I always find the errors in my ways and I let them defeat me too easily. While these traits drag me down, I always try to be the best person that I can be. That is why I try to write. I feel relaxed, for the most part, because I have a conversation with myself as I type words.

Long story short: two goals to make myself a stronger writer is to explore new ideas as well as having a routine. Writing is easily an ability that is perfected through repetition. Without writing on a consistent basis, I'm never going to get past the writing skills that enabled me to pass my composition classes.

While they were at the collegiate level, they are mandatory to earn a degree at this university.

To get to the point of this post: I think I struggle with writers' block. It all comes back to the fact that I lack the day-to-day practice. There is another problem: I have a destination in mind with little plans of how to get there.

Watching this television show "Californication" has reinforced that I need to just write, then distance myself from whatever topic I chose, and come back to it. Or never come back to it. The main character, Hank, has a daughter who has dropped out of school to pursue her career as a writer. Hank directly told her to stick it in a drawer and never return to it. To just move on from that exploration of her mind.

Perhaps that may be the best course of action for me. There have been over a hundred sports-related articles by myself over at Climbing Tal's Hill. But writing about baseball is supposed to be objective. Writers' block is less of an issue due to the fact that there is always something out there that is waiting to be covered.

But I want to be a well-rounded writer. If you're reading this, leave a comment on what you think so far. I appreciate any criticism. Constructive or destructive, I want to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment